Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Tool Time Tuesday...Make Your Own Design Wall

Happy Tuesday everyone! I had a thought to change the design wall in my sewing room to a more useful space. I wanted it to be large to use up the whole wall. I only have one section of wall space that's not covered with furniture, so I want to utilize the entire section.

I wanted the design wall to look like a nine patch quilt block...but JUMBO!!

Here's what I made...it just on the floor for now. I haven't hung it on the wall yet, because I think my daughter Kelsie wants to take it!!

Each square is 2 feet by 2 feet, so the final size is 6 feet by 6 feet!!

Looking at this picture now, I want to move that black chalkboard square down one.


Let's see how you can make a design wall of your own. It doesn't have to be the same size. You can scale it down it fit your space.
I wanted to make the wall with things I already had like fabric, paint, cork etc. I just needed the wood base.

The best and cheapest solution was a 4 foot by 8 foot sheet of lauan plywood that is 3/16 of an inch thick. It was only $12.00 for the full sheet.


They will cut the whole sheet into 2 foot squares for you!!


There are so many things you can add to each board...chalkboard paint, magnetic paint, fabric, cork etc.


To cover with fabric, cut your fabric larger than your board size.


Staple gun all the way around.




Fabric pulled tight and stapled.


I used ring hangers to nail on the upper corners of each square.


The tiny nails are just hammered in.


I had some old thin cork I wanted to use. I just pieced it together. I didn't mind that it had a few rips in it. The papers or pictures that will be on the board will cover it anyways. I also used it under some of the fabric.

 I used wood glue to attach the cork.


Spread glue with a foam brush.


 I wanted one board to be magnetic, like this metal board I have in the frame.


My Home Depot didn't have the sheet metal I needed, because I think I bought that other one at Lowe's. I did buy this to try though.

It's a magnetic primer! You just paint it on in three coats.


Here is the break down of each board.


Flannel fabric to use as a quilt design wall.


Fabric over cork for messages or inspirational pictures, notes or photos.


Chalkboard...I did have chalkboard spray paint, but I forgot I had a roll of chalkboard contact paper that I bought at Michael's Craft store. You just stick it on.


Another fabric board. I think I will add criss cross ribbon.


A plain cork board.


Pretty French fabric.


This was a dry erase board that I cut up to match the size of the others. Cuts easily with a jig saw, but it's a 2 person job. Someone needs to hold it so it doesn't bounce. You could cut it on a table saw too.

Sorry about that shadow on the bottom. A chair in the way that I just couldn't move. The board is all white.


Magnetic under this fabric.


I also cut a piece of peg board I had. You can have your hardware store cut this for you too.

A small piece of peg board (2 feet by 4 feet) is about $7.00.

This is great to hold scissors, quilt rulers, thread and other supplies.


This is jumbo, but like I mentioned before, you could cut the wood pieces to 1 foot square to fit your space.

Change up what's on your boards too. Design what you need and how many you will use.

You could just hang a large board with flannel on it for quilt designing.


It's fun to pick out the fabric and what boards you'll use the most.

Looks like I won't be using any of these boards if Kelsie takes them to school with her!!

Happy Tuesday,
~Karen~

Pin It

24 comments:

  1. Karen this is just gorgeous and brilliant! Thank you for sharing this. I have been looking to do something with a portion of my wall in my craft room and this just might be the answer! I love the multiple uses this board gives you. If you don't mind, where did you purchase the wood from? I live in a very small town and the only store we have here that is close to Lowe's or Home Depot is Sutherlands.
    Thanks!

    Hugs,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent idea Karen. So practical! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a really neat idea. It can be changed as your needs change without a lot of expense. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like...I like! I am wondering about your ring hangers on the back. Please show how you hang all of these and still make it look like one cohesive piece. That will be a challenge for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this. When my first grandauhter (Naomi) was born, my daughter chose the Pieced Star design for her baby quilt (42-8 inch squares). We repeated this design in different sizes with a wall hanging-now a doll quilt -AND we taped off the wall and painted one large Pieced Star (from floor to ceiling) on one wall of the nursery. We used the color of the wall which was a pale green, and a very pale pink. It was very subtle, but perfect for the room. Of course, we have no pictures of it, but it was beautiful. We now refer to that particular quilt block as "Naomi's Star". I wish I had a wall in my house big enough to use your idea. It's perfect with all the different blocks that you can acually use for storage, etc. You've done it again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a cute and highly-functional idea! Thank you so much for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous idea! I'm trying to think where I could put it. Mine would have to be much smaller. If you don't mind can I ask how long it took you to make this (not counting shopping for supplies)? And do you mind if I put this on my Pinterest board?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant like all your solutions.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You always amaze me with your creative, yet practical!, ideas! Thank you for sharing and motivating us others.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cool idea! BTW, I starting today, I am having a pattern giveaway for the next 8 days if your interested.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a great idea... so inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a clever idea! I love how you incorporated the peg, cork, chalk, and magnetic boards. This is perfect for a wall in my creative room. Now I just have to find the time to make it. Thanks for sharing this wonderful idea. This is worth sharing on my sites, with your permission! Have a great week! ~~Vickie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful ideas. I enjoy your posts very much. The information you share is fantastic!

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a wonderful idea! i have something similar going on, but i am using canvas (which i bought quite a few when they were on clearance). i am doing it to the baby/guest room, but i need to paint the room first to see what i want on the canvas.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi there, Great idea!! Didn't know you can get magnetic paint?! Brilliant!! But does it actually work?! Love the peg-board included to hang thing from!!
    Love
    AMarie

    ReplyDelete
  16. What kind of DNA is in you? How can I get some? You are sooooo creative and not only that, your ideas are practical. I love this idea and if I were the daughter I'd take it with me to. No guilt, because creative Mom can quickly whip up another one. Thanks Karen, for more great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  17. que chulo!!! todo a lo grande, tamaño XL.
    Besos
    Paqui y Mari Jose
    Miss-Perea's

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so awesome! I have to make one for myself!! Thanks for posting this!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are one amazing woman!!! Thank you for all your ideas and photos.
    best wishes from Australia. xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks Karen! Love this brilliant idea. I could so see this working in my mudroom. I have been looking for ideas to make this room more functional and this project definitely has possibilities! ~Thea

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very creative and artistic looking too. Beautifully executed and so practical. My God Karen, you should be on TV.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I too am in awe of this design wall idea. Please let us all know how you suggest hanging each board to end up with a cohesive group. BTW...your blog is what I dream for my blog...super creative and enjoyable to all who read it :) geniknits.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have seen these on pbteen.com, but these are more customizable and cheaper. I love it!

    I'm having a giveaway over at my blog! Check it out!
    http://imcraftingmyway.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment...I just love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails